Sunday, March 22, 2009

Don't Tell Me

I found this poem online today and it really touched me because its so true


Don't Tell Me
Please don't tell me you know how I feel,
Unless you have lost your child too,
Please don't tell me my broken heart will heal,
Because that is just not true,
Please don't tell me my son is in a better place,
Though it is true, I want him here with me,
Don't tell me someday I'll hear his voice, see his face,
Beyond today I cannot see,
Don't tell me it is time to move on,
Because I cannot,
Don't tell me to face the fact he is gone,
Because denial is something I can't stop,
Don't tell me to be thankful for the time I had,
Because I wanted more,
Don't tell me when I am my old self you will be glad,
I'll never be as I was before,
What you can tell me is you will be here for me,
That you will listen when I talk of my child,
You can share with me my precious memories,
You can even cry with me for a while,
And please don't hesitate to say his name,
Because it is something I long to hear everyday,
Friend please realize that I can never be the same,
But if you stand by me, you may like the new person I become someday.

Judi Walker
(In Memory of Shane)
Copyright 1998

Also In Memory of Aryn James

5 comments:

  1. Love it...it was beautifuly said. The one thing though, I have to tell you from the others stand point, is we are afraid to hurt you...we hate to see you in pain, to see you ache the way you do, because we know there is nothing we can do to help take that pain away, there is nothing we can do to make you feel that joy again, when he was here. But yes, you will never be the same, you are a new person, and not that you are a better person, you just see life a little differently then before.

    I hope you all are well. We will really have to get the boys together when my kids are better...we are having a rough go over here.

    Sending you prayers and Blessings
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother who has lost a child, I feel like this poem couldn't have hit the mark any closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having lost my son I can only say that every single word is true. Thank you for expressing what I have been unable to do x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for taking the time to read my lil blog

    ReplyDelete